This is one of our favorite meals on a cold winter day! It is packed with flavor--making it the perfect comfort food. Plus it's pretty easy to make. I try to plan this meal when I know I'll have leftover mashed potatoes from the previous night's meal. But if I decide to make this on a whim, thankfully mashed potatoes are pretty easy to make quickly (just follow your favorite recipe). Note, if feeding a large crowd (or if you want lots of leftovers), I recommend doubling the recipe.
1. Pre-heat oven to 400.
2. Heat pan on medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Saute onion for 3-4 minutes and then add ground beef. Cook 5-7 minutes longer until ground beef is cooked through and crumbled.
3. Add beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, marinara sauce or tomato paste, and salt to meat and mix in while continuing to cook on medium-low heat. (Note, add salt to taste. I like closer to 1 tsp, but start with a 1/2 tsp).
4. Add bag of peas and mix in. Then stir in 1/2 Tbsp flour to thicken mixture a bit. (Note: use any gluten-free option if preferred.)
5. Transfer the beef mixture to an 8x8 baking dish.
6. Add thick layer of mashed potatoes on top of beef mixture and spread to cover beef.
7. Top mashed potatoes with shredded cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese (Note: I like to add white cheddar cheese too--you can be creative with cheese flavors. You can use exact measurements or just eyeball the amount of cheese your prefer on top)
8. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and pie is bubbling.
Eat as a cozy one-dish meal or add a side salad and bread.